simple fried green tomatoes. I recall being served fried tomatoes for breakfast once, but they weren't green. Curious as usual, we found some big green tomatoes at the farmer's market last weekend and just had to try these fried green tomatoes. Green tomatoes are lightly coated in cornmeal and fried to a perfect light brown crispness.
The recipe is so simple, but the results are delicious! How to Make Simple Fried Green Tomatoes. Make sure to choose unripe green tomatoes (ones that haven't yet turned red) and not tomatillos or heirloom tomatoes, like Green Zebras, that remain. You can have simple fried green tomatoes using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of simple fried green tomatoes
- It’s of green tomatoes.
- Prepare of eggs.
- Prepare of milk.
- It’s of jiffy baking mix (or flour).
- Prepare of parsley.
- It’s of creole seasoning.
- Prepare of oil.
Long before "Fried Green Tomatoes" was a feature film, it was a culinary staple in my household while growing up. I actually didn't start eating them until I became a preteen, saw the movie and got curious of how they tasted Southern Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe. Fried green tomatoes are a true Southern classic food. They are even so popular that there are a book and a movie named after them.
simple fried green tomatoes step by step
- I don't usually measure my ingredients. so this is a round about guess of measurements. I hope you enjoy it!.
- heat oil in skillet.
- slice tomatoes 1/2 in thick..
- in mixing bowl mix 2 eggs and milk. add in the jiffy mix and stir until clumps are gone. if the batter is too thin add more mix, if its too thick add more milk. next add parsley, Creole seasoning and stir..
- dip sliced tomatoes into batter. be sure to cover them completely. place in hot oil. let cook until golden brown and flip. (I find it easier to use tongs.).
- set out a plate with a few layers of paper towel. let cool and enjoy!.
But to truly enjoy these delicious treats, you need fantastic green tomato recipes. Make delicious, classic Southern Fried Green Tomatoes fast with this easy recipe! Crispy on the outside and tender in the middle, these Fried Green Tomatoes are addictive! Serve them as an appetizer, a party snack or make them the main attraction piled high on a BLT! Fried green tomatoes are a side dish usually found in the Southern United States, made from unripe (green) tomatoes coated with cornmeal and fried.‹See TfM›.