Japanese Eggplant, Zucchini, and Olive Rice with Marjoram and Parmesan. Especially when the eggplant and zucchini is home grown! Turn eggplant and zucchini; top eggplant and zucchini slices evenly with marinara sauce and mozzarella. I served the dish with a side of whole wheat spaghetti tossed with olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
I stocked up as if I wouldn't see it again, and quite possibly out of little sense of guilt, and decided this parmesan zucchini and eggplant was just the thing we needed to go with our summer supper. The Best Japanese Style Eggplant Recipes on Yummly Japanese Eggplant Recipe With a Tomato, Olive and Feta Relish. You can cook Japanese Eggplant, Zucchini, and Olive Rice with Marjoram and Parmesan using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Japanese Eggplant, Zucchini, and Olive Rice with Marjoram and Parmesan
- Prepare of vegetable bouillon cube.
- You need of water.
- It’s of sprigs fresh marjoram, divided.
- It’s of olive oil.
- Prepare of onion, halved and thinly sliced.
- You need of garlic, minced.
- It’s of zucchini squash, cut in half and sliced.
- You need of Japanese eggplant, cut in half and sliced.
- It’s of Kosher salt, to taste.
- Prepare of Black pepper, to taste.
- Prepare of olives, pits removed and roughly chopped.
- Prepare of long grain rice.
- You need of sprigs fresh Italian parsley, leaves removed, roughly chopped.
- You need of Parmesan, shaved.
If you're searching for a Japanese eggplant recipe, you'll find more than a veggie dressed-up with Asian flavors. Here's a healthy version of a restaurant classic that you can easily make at home. Japanese eggplants, botanically classified as Solanum melongena, belong to the Solanaceae, or nightshade family, sharing ancestry with tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers. Japanese eggplant is the Western name given to dozens of eggplant varieties, both heirloom and hybrid.
Japanese Eggplant, Zucchini, and Olive Rice with Marjoram and Parmesan instructions
- In a medium bowl, dissolve bouillon cube in 2 cups hot water with one sprig of marjoram, and set aside..
- Place a medium-large saucepot with a lid over medium heat. Add olive oil, and heat until oil lightly smokes. Add onion and garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add zucchini, eggplant, pinch of salt and pepper, and cook while stirring for 3-4 more minutes..
- Add olives, second sprig of marjoram, rice and vegetable stock to the saucepot. Heat on high until mixture comes to a boil. Cover with lid, lower heat to medium-low and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes, or until rice is fully cooked and tender. Remove from heat. Leave pot covered, and allow the rice to sit and steam for 5-10 minutes..
- Remove lid from pot, and fluff rice with a fork. Remove the marjoram sprigs and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide onto two plates. Top with parsley and cheese. Enjoy!.
Zucchini and onions are stir fried with sesame seeds and teriyaki and soy sauces. I have made it so many times and there is never a complaint. this is fabulous as a veggie side dish and goes really well with rice. All Reviews for Japanese Zucchini and Onions. Fortunately, Japanese eggplant is, in my opinion, a lot easier to work with than globe eggplant. This year I'm growing Japanese eggplant in my garden, and have been using this recipe every time a few more eggplants Grilled Japanese Eggplant with Tahini Sauce.