You can have Eggplant Parmigiana using 11 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Eggplant Parmigiana
- Prepare of Italian Eggplants (medium), peeled, sliced 3/4” thick.
- It’s of salt.
- Prepare of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare of eggs, beaten to blend.
- You need of milk.
- You need of seasoned breadcrumbs.
- It’s of olive oil (divided).
- It’s of Italian red sauce (divided).
- Prepare of fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced.
- Prepare of finely grated Parmesan cheese.
- Prepare of fresh basil, chopped.
Eggplant Parmigiana instructions
- Place some of the eggplant slices on paper towels on a large plate. Lightly salt. Add another layer of paper towels on top, then add eggplant slices, salt, and top it off with paper towel..
- Place a large plate on top for weight and to seal the slices. Allow this to sit for 30 minutes. [This draws out some of the moisture and makes for a creamier eggplant texture when baked].
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, beat the eggs with a dash of milk. In a flat plate, add the breadcrumbs. [Have a small bowl to the side that contains about 2 cups of water].
- Remove the eggplant slices from the paper towels, place them on the large plate and drizzle with olive oil. Heat a very large frying pan over medium-high heat with some olive oil..
- Working one at a time, dredge the eggplant slice in flour (both sides), then dip in egg wash (both sides), and coat in breadcrumbs on both sides by firmly pressing the slice down in the crumbs..
- Add the slice to the heated pan. Dip your fingers in the water bowl and repeat these steps with the other slices to fill the pan. [Fry in batches].
- Fry the slices until golden brown and then flip them over. Add olive oil to the pan. Total cooking time is about 6 minutes. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat with the other batch of slices using additional oil..
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom of a large baking dish. Place the larger slices on the bottom (trim as needed). Add a slice of mozzarella cheese on top..
- Stack the remaining slices on top for a second layer. Add the rest of the sauce on top and spread this around. Top the layers with the Parmesan cheese..
- Cover with foil and place in the heated oven on top of a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes..
- Remove from the oven and allow this to rest for 15 minutes. Top with basil leaves..
- Using a spatula, cut and scoop a two-layer portion, and place it upon a bed of plated pasta. [Or use within a baked Italian sandwich roll].