Greek Mussaka. Greek Moussaka recipe – A delicious taste of Greece. Greek moussaka (mousaka) is one of the most popular dishes in Greece, served in almost every tavern and prepared in. Here is a great recipe for moussaka, a Greek dish.
As with all iconic dishes of the world, I imagine that every Greek family surely has their own version of Moussaka. Moussaka (/muːˈsɑːkə/, /ˌmuːsəˈkɑː/ or /ˌmuːsɑːˈkɑː/) is an eggplant- (aubergine) or potato-based dish, often including ground meat, in the Levant, Middle East, Greece. Learn How to make Traditional Greek Moussaka. You can cook Greek Mussaka using 18 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Greek Mussaka
- You need of large aubergines (A).
- It’s of medium sized white potatoes (A).
- Prepare of medium red onion (B).
- Prepare of olive oil (B).
- It’s of garlic (B).
- Prepare of ground beef and lamb meat (B).
- You need of seven spices (B).
- Prepare of black pepper (B).
- It’s of salt (B).
- You need of grape molasses (B).
- Prepare of vinegar (B).
- It’s of bay leaves (C).
- It’s of clovers (C).
- It’s of ground nutmeg (C).
- You need of milk (C).
- Prepare of butter (C).
- It’s of a cup of flour (C).
- Prepare of grated parmesan cheese (C).
This dish is so rich and full of flavor. layers of potatoes, eggplants, meat and béchamel sauce. Moussaka by Greek chef Akis Petretzikis! Are you ready to try one of the most amazingly delicious dishes you have ever tasted?! This classic Greek moussaka recipe is made by layering eggplant and potatoes with a spiced meat filling and topping it with a béchamel sauce.
Greek Mussaka step by step
- Peel, cut and salt the aubergines. Load them in a colander with a weight to remove moisture..
- Fry the aubergine slices in vegetable oil..
- Peel, cut and fry the potatoes..
- Start to prepare your Mussaka pan. The first layer consists of fried potatoes, while second layer consists of fried aubergine..
- Finely chop the onion, fry in olive oil, add minced garlic clove when onion is ready. Later add the meat. Stir on medium heat. Add the other ingredients as the meat browns and gets almost cooked..
- The minced meat comprises the third layer in the pan. Spread more aubergines to make a fourth layer..
- Boil milk with its spices in a saucepan over medium heat. In a separate saucepan melt the butter then gradually add sifted flour while continuously whisking over low heat..
- Gradually ladle milk over the butter and flour mixture whisking without interruption till the whole milk quantity is used up. Add half the parmesan cheese into the white sauce..
- The white sauce makes up the top layer (fifth layer). Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top..
- Cook for 30 min in a 180 degrees C oven uncovered. Broil for an extra 5 – 10 minutes to give the pan a golden brown surface..
- Remove from the oven and wait for 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy a premium dinner..
- Eat with yoghurt..
Being Greek born I have tried my share of moussaka recipes over the years, this is a basic easy recipe I have been making for years and still make often, it has remained a huge. Try Rick Stein's take on this traditional Greek moussaka, combining spiced lamb mince and creamy white sauce. Here's how we make Moussaka in Greece. Layers of fried potatoes & eggplants, a spiced ground beef and tomato sauce, and a super creamy bechamel sauce on top. This Greek Moussaka Authentic Recipe can be made for two or for a crowd.