Onion and tomato pie. Fresh chopped tomatoes, basil and onions, topped with mixture of shredded cheese and mayonnaise, baked in a pie shell. Here's one of the best loved recipes on the site—tomato pie! Perfect at the peak of summer tomato season.
It's only Vidalia Onions for me! See how the most famous onions in the world have quite a history and make the best tomato pie recipe ever! #ad #OnlyVidalia. Learn how to make Tomato-and-Onion Pie. You can cook Onion and tomato pie using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Onion and tomato pie
- You need of Filling.
- Prepare 4 of medium onions, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare of Pie.
- It’s 1 packages of of thawed pie pastry, it should be around 1 pound.
- It’s 1/3 cup of oil, (corn, canola or vegetable).
- It’s 1 cup of milk.
Peel and slice tomatoes to fill bottom of pie shell. Sprinkle with chopped onion and salt and pepper. Layer more tomatoes, salt and pepper (again). Mix mayo, bacon and cheese and milk.
Onion and tomato pie step by step
- Saute the onions in the heated oil until caramelized, about 10-15 mins..
- Add the tomatoes. Let them sweat for 5 mins. Salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat off and let it cool..
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/ 350ºF. Grease a 13×9 inch baking dish. (I used an oval dish, as the other was in use already.).
- In a medium bowl whisk the oil and the milk..
- Take one sheet of pastry and place it on the greased dish. Do not worry if it breaks, just tear it to fit the dish. Then with a brush carefully wet the pastry. Repeat for each sheet until you use slightly more than half of the package..
- Spread the filling evenly onto the dish. Then place another sheet, brush with the milk-oil mix and repeat with the rest of the pastry..
- When you are done with the pastry, carefully cut the unbaked pie into even pieces and then pour the remaining milk mix over the pie. Place in the oven for 40-50 mins, until it gets nice golden brown..
- Once out of the oven, let rest for about an hour. You may serve it as a side dish, or enjoy it as an appetizer. Hope you like it!.
Spoon on top and pat down to cover tomatoes. Sprinkle with Ritz crackers mixed with melted butter. Savory Tomato Pie is a Southern comfort food classic. Layers of tomato, onion, basil, and cheese are baked in a flaky pie crust shell for an indulgent savory pie that is hard to resist! Try this savory egg and tomato pie recipe.