Spicy aubergine and mozzarella pasta. A quick and easy Aubergine, Mozzarella & Tomato Pasta Bake recipe, from our authentic Italian cuisine collection. You'll combine golden-fried aubergine, rich tomato sauce, pasta and two cheeses to create a truly delicious meal the whole family is sure to love. This Aubergine and Mozzarella Pasta is a dish I have been making my family for years.
This is a great stand-alone dish or it could be served with a bowl of couscous. Try our delicious aubergine and mozzarella pasta recipe. Meanwhile, fry the aubergine in the oil until browned and softened. You can have Spicy aubergine and mozzarella pasta using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spicy aubergine and mozzarella pasta
- It’s of medium aubergines, diced into 1cm squares.
- Prepare of medium onion, finely diced.
- It’s of large red chilli + 1 birds eye chilli (optional!), sliced.
- Prepare of large garlic cloves, finely diced.
- It’s of tomato passata.
- Prepare of balls of mozzarella, drained and diced.
- It’s of Parmesan.
- You need of Rapeseed or olive oil.
- Prepare of Fresh basil (or dried alternative).
This wholesome aubergine and mozzarella bake takes inspiration from Italian cuisine. The tasty vegetarian recipe layers up aubergine, cheese This is layered like lasagne but made with aubergine instead of pasta. It is a typical dish made all over Italy, but we like to think it originates in Parma. Joe is joined by top UK blogger Emily Leary aka A Mummy Too to create delicious Sicilian Pasta with Galbani Mozzarella and aubergine.
Spicy aubergine and mozzarella pasta instructions
- In a large frying or saucepan (I use 2 for speed!) drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of oil into each pan and warm on a medium to high heat. Share the aubergines between the 2 pans, and stir so that the aubergines are coated in oil. Season with a little salt and pepper..
- Turn the heat down to medium and fry for 10-15 minutes until the aubergines collapse and are soft rather than spongy. It is worth taking the time to do this and an extra few minutes if needed, as this will give the sauce a creamy, rich texture. This is the principle ingredient so it needs to shine!.
- Once the aubergines are done, set aside and add 2 tablespoons of oil to cook the onion (in 1 pan). Turn the heat down to low-medium so that it can cook slowly for 8 minutes until it becomes translucent and soft. Again. Worth taking the time to do this..
- Add the garlic and chilli and stir in for 2 minutes, then return the aubergines back to the pan. Add the passata to the pan and rinse the box/jar out with a 100-150 ml of water and tip in..
- Season the dish with salt and pepper and tear in 5 or 6 basil leaves (or if you ran out like me use 1-2 tsp of dried thyme/oregano instead). Simmer the sauce on a medium heat for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. If it becomes too thick add a little more water..
- This sauce will happily tick along on the stove as long as you check it isn't sticking. It will be lovely for cooking down. Cook your desired amount of pasta per person (around 75g). Whilst the pasta is cooking add the diced mozzarella to the sauce, stir and turn off the heat. Check the seasoning, add a little more herbs or salt and pepper if needed..
- Drain the pasta, leaving a couple of tablespoons of water in the bottom. Add 2-3 spoonfuls of sauce to the pasta pan (per portion of pasta you have cooked) and stir through. Serve with grated Parmesan on top. Enjoy!.
- This sauce will store in the freezer well for another day too..
Ett smaskigt recept på pasta med aubergine, tomat, basilika och mozzarella. När man vill äta gott men inte har så mycket tid. Ett krämigt recept på pasta med aubergine, tomat, basilika och mozzarella. Den Mozzarella abtropfen lassen und in kleine Würfel schneiden. Mit der Sauce und den Mozzarellastückchen mischen.