Aubergine parmigiana. This aubergine parmigiana recipe is a brilliant vegetarian alternative to a lasagne. If you're looking for an Italian meat-free recipe for your family that's tasty and quick to make, Gennaro has the answer with this delicious aubergine. Donal's aubergine parmigiana is so easy to make and tastes wonderful.
Aubergine parmigiana is a great appetiser or side dish. It also works really well for lunch, especially if served with a green salad. This aubergine parmigiana recipe makes a great vegetarian dinner, with layers of veg, tomato sauce and cheese. You can have Aubergine parmigiana using 13 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Aubergine parmigiana
- You need of tomatoes chopped.
- It’s of tomato puree.
- You need of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of sugar.
- Prepare of chilli flakes.
- Prepare of onion chopped finely.
- It’s of olive oil.
- You need of dried oregano.
- Prepare of red lentils (optional).
- It’s of garlic.
- Prepare of aubergines.
- You need of good mozzarella.
- It’s of shaved parmesan.
See more aubergine recipes at Tesco Real Food. This aubergine parmigiana recipe is simple, delicious and filled with incredible Italian flavour. I like mine topped with a sprinkling of panko breadcrumbs to add an extra crunch. Try this aubergine parmigiana recipe then try our healthier parmigiana and other aubergine recipes.
Aubergine parmigiana step by step
- Cut the aubergines in thin slices – as much the same thickness as possible.
- Salt the aubergines then and leave while you prepare the tomato sauce..
- Fry the chopped onion in a little olive oil then add the crushed garlic. Cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat until the onions go transparent. Stir in the sugar then Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, chilli and dried oregano..
- Add the lentils and cook for 25 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken then season to taste. The lentils add a nutty flavour and a little extra bulk..
- While the sauce is cooking, Rinse the salt off the aubergines, pat dry and fry in olive oil in batches until browned and soft..
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cover the base of an oven dish with aubergines.
- Add 1/2 of the tomato sauce then add another layer of aubergine..
- Scatter half the mozzarella and half the Parmesan over the aubergines and cover with the remaining tomato sauce..
- Add a final layer of aubergines and scatter with the remaining cheeses..
- Cook in the oven for 30 min at 180 degrees depending on your oven.
- Serve with a rocket salad dressed lightly with vinaigrette..
Aubergine parmigiana (aka melanzane alla parmigiana, or parmesan aubergine, for the sake of linguistic consistency) is that rare and glorious thing: Mediterranean stodge. Cut flesh into bite sized cubes. Hearty aubergine parmigiana is a real winner for the family. Visit the Waitrose website for more aubergine recipes and ideas. This will be saved to your scrapbook.