Ratatouille. It was the eighth film produced by Pixar. In the hilarious new animated-adventure, Ratatouille, a rat named Remy dreams of becoming a great chef despite his family's wishes and the obvious problem of being a rat in a decidedly rodent-phobic.
You can cook Ratatouille using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Ratatouille
- You need of zucchini; medium dice.
- Prepare of yellow squash; medium dice.
- Prepare of eggplant; peeled and medium dice.
- It’s of bell pepper; medium dice.
- It’s of red onion; medium dice.
- You need of tomatoes.
- You need of garlic; minced.
- You need of handful basil; chiffonade.
- It’s of parsley; chopped.
- You need of thyme; minced.
- Prepare of vegetable stock.
- Prepare of vegetable or olive oil.
- You need of salt and pepper.
- Generously season the eggplant with salt, and place aside. A slimey looking ooze will extract itself. This takes the bitterness away. Eggplant secret ;).
- Boil a large pot of water. Score the underside of each tomato with an "X". Not too deep, this is just to peel the skin away. Add the tomatoes when the water boils, but only for 30 seconds. This is to loosen the skin, not cook. Drop tomatoes into an ice bath to stop the cooking process..
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes. Remove core from tomatoes. Keep the soft tomato flesh and roughly chop it. This is called tomato concasse. Set aside..
- In a large saute pan, heat oil. Add zucchini and squash. Season. Saute until 90% done. Place in a large mixing bowl..
- Saute bell pepper and onion next. Season. Add garlic when 50% done and saute until fragrant. Place in the mixing bowl with the squash..
- Saute the eggplant until 90% complete. The eggplant will soak up considerably more oil than the other veggies. Add sauteed veggie mix to the sauteed eggplant. Add tomato concasse. Add pepper. You may need to switch to a larger pot..
- Add vegetable stock and cook until veggies are tender. Add fresh herbs. Adjust salt if necessary..
- Variations; Roasted garlic, champagne vinegar, chicken stock, sweet potatoes, turnips, butternut squash, rutabaga, parsnip, celery root, celery, celery seed, fennel, fennel seed, shallots, habanero, bacon, pancetta, chives, spinach, arugula, roasted bell peppers, parmesean, romano, gruyere, parmigiano reggiano, lemon, horseradish, marjoram, mint, oregano, rosemary, sage, white pepper, peppercorn melange, butter, brown butter, sesame seeds, soy, ginger, honey, lime, crushed pepper flakes, serrano, poblano, balsamic, white wine, red wine, worcestershire, carrots, cauliflower, feta, paprika, herbes de provence, Italian seasoning, applewood, tomato puree.